Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Monday, February 22, 2010
Digitized records from the Church of the Latter-Day Saints will back-up documents in the civil registry of Manila archived during the period covering 1886 to 1996.
Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim received on Feb. 10 the first 500-gigabytes hard disk of a three-part storage of a century’s file involving up to 100 million individual entries.
“This will help a lot in servicing important documents to the people,” he told the group represented by Won Yong Ko of the Philippines Area Presidency, Robert Andrada president of the Manila Stake, Manolito Baul of the church family history and Alejandro Abalos, technical assistant of the sect’s family search department.
City Registrar Josefa Ocampo said the digitizing was based on records kept in city hall that survived destruction during World War II including typhoon Ondoy’s flooding in Sept. last year.
“Two other batches are due for delivery,” she said, adding that digitized records consisted of certificates of birth and death as well as marriage contracts.
Ocampo said the church group offered the service free of charge but the city government would have to provide the retrieval system.
She said the ideal would be an over-the-counter transaction that allowed tracing, recovery and printing of records in seconds, avoiding long cues waiting for results.
Ocampo said records would also be kept permanently in the church’s repository in Salt Lake, Utah.
She said documents were digitized in 8 to 11 megapixel format to guarantee clarity of copies.
Source: Manila Standard Today
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Anyways, lumayo na naman sa topic. Eto yung intro ng article nila sa
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Police identified the victim as Bernardo Majait, a cook at the “Bahala Na Kahit Saan" videoke bar located at San Rafael Village in Balut, Tondo. The victim suffered multiple stab wounds in the neck and body and was declared dead on arrival at the Tondo General Hospital.
Two of the four suspects were identified as Raymart Adonis and Anju Cua alias “Kambal," both 18 years old. The two other suspects were identified only as “Nonoy" and “Atan."
SPO2 Edmundo Cabal of Manila Police District - Homicide Unit said the suspects entered the bar at 4:20 a.m. after reportedly having a drinking spree at Malaya Street.
Cabal said the suspects divested two waiters of their mobile phones and took the bar’s income worth P12,000. He said the victim put up a fight, prompting the robbers to stab him several times.
The two waiters ran outside the bar and sought help at a nearby barangay hall. The suspects however managed to flee before barangay officials arrived at the scene.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Isa sa nasunugan na lugar ay ang tumupok sa 20 bahay sa Tondo district pero wala pang balita kung saan at paano nagsimula ang sunog na yung sa Tondo. According to some arson investigator they estimated the damage sa mga property around P500,000
Radio dzBB's Lito Laparan reported that a fire believed caused by an illegal electrical connection that shorted hit a five-door apartment in Manila's Sampaloc district Saturday morning.
The fire at the apartment along Jocson St., Sampaloc started at 10 a.m. and reached the fourth alarm before firefighters and fire volunteers put it under control at 11:02 a.m.
Isa pang sunog ang lumaplap din sa dalawang bahay na napabalita kaninang madaling araw ng Sabado along IBP Road sa Quezon City. Mabuti na lang at wala ring napabalitang nasugatan. Swerte pa rin ang mga taong yon.
Kaya mag-ingat naman po kayo dyan!
Friday, November 21, 2008
Quezon City Police District Director Senior Supt. Magtanggol Gatdula identified the fatality as Roberto Lee, 44, of Varona Street, Tondo, Manila. Ang mahirap nito baka nadawit lang itong isa. (tamang-hinala lang ata ako ano?)
Lee was allegedly a former Manila policeman who had an extensive criminal record. The injured were identified as Larry Santos and Romeo Lacot. Gatdula said they have yet to determine if they are members of the gang also known as the “doughnut gang.” Kung bakit naman kasi hindi na lang dunkin donuts ang tirahin nila eh di may pang-bara na sila sa kape!
They are now being treated in an undisclosed hospital. Police said the robbery group specializes in stealing spare tires from vehicles especially SUV vans, thus the name doughnut gang.
The encounter took place at K-I Street in Barangay Kamias at around 9 p.m. Thursday.
Gatdula said an hour prior to the encounter, the suspects stole the spare tire of a Toyota Fortuner parked in front of a restaurant on Tomas Morato.
He said that operatives from the city's anticarnapping unit led by Senior Insp. Angelo Nicolas engaged the suspects who were on board a Toyota Revo in a gunfight along Kalayaan Avenue.
Source: Phil Daily Inquirer
Friday, November 7, 2008
Here's the latest news about the dilema of Asuncion Market in Tondo, Manila.
Ric de Guzman, city chief of staff, directed Department of Public Services chief Carlos Baltazar, market chief Efleda Castro and City Administrator Jesus Mari Marzan to order the operators of the market to cease operations until further notice.
Baltazar said the city government was not allowed to take over the market’s operations because of an ongoing court case involving its owner and Councilor Dennis Alcoreza, who was reportedly operating it.
In a statement, City Hall said Alcoreza and the owner were apparently engaged in a tug-of-war over the market.
Baltazar said the operation of the market under Alcoreza was illegal as it was not covered by the necessary franchise and dues had not been paid.
Sought for comment, Alcoreza told Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net): “I don’t know why the local government has been meddling in the issue…it’s (the market) is supposedly a private entity.”
He said he had yet to receive a copy of the City Hall order.